In the digital surroundings, social media apps like Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc. have become a crucial part of everyone’s lives. While browsing Instagram, have you ever thought, “Is there any way I could sneak away without knowing I’m online”? Well, luckily there is an easy and quick way of doing so. In this guide, we are going to check out the process of how to appear offline on Instagram without knowing anyone.
Table of Contents
Understanding Instagram’s Online Status
Instagram is a popular social media platform among Genz and influencers, it offers a wide range of cool features like creating a broadcast channel for your audience, getting notes for better interaction with friends and family, etc.
While it connects you to over 2.35 billion users, it also ensures the safety of your privacy. You can make your account private, and hide likes of posts, and now you can also hide the online status of your profile.
But, “What is Online Status”? Whenever you are on Instagram, the green next to someone’s profile picture means that they are online right now. However, there are times when you just want to scroll your Instagram without responding to anyone. So, let’s explore how to appear offline on Instagram for a more relaxed and private experience.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Appear Offline on Instagram
For better understanding, we have shared a step-by-step guide on how to appear online on Instagram on Mobile and Desktop. Follow the below instructions:
- Open Instagram on your smartphone and go to your ‘Profile’ section by clicking on your profile picture appearing at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on the ‘Three lines icon’ appearing in the top right corner and click on the ‘Settings and Privacy’ option to open the settings of your profile.
- Now, scroll down and click on the ‘Messages and Story replies’ option in the ‘How others can interact with you’ section.
- Here, you will see the ‘Show activity status’ option, Click on it.
- Now, there is a switch for the ‘Show Activity Status’ option. Click on it to toggle it off to make you offline, whenever you are not.
- Go to Instagram’s official website and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile picture given in the left side menu of the screen to go to your profile section.
- Click on the ‘Gear icon’ given right side of your username.
- A pop-off will appear on the screen showing different options. Click on the ‘Settings and Privacy’ option.
- Now, go to the ‘How others can interact with you’ section appearing in the settings menu.
- Now, Toggle off the button of the ‘Show Activity Status’ option and make you offline.
Both processes are quick and easy to follow and help you browse Instagram and watch your favorite content without interrupting unnecessary conversations.
Alternatives of How to Appear Offline on Instagram
To further reduce distractions, avoid conversations, and balance social interaction, we have also shared alternatives for how to appear offline on Instagram. Here are the instructions for alternatives;
Logging out of Instagram
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile and go to your profile by clicking on ‘Profile Picture’ visible at the bottom right corner.
- Click on the ‘Three lines’ icon and go to the ‘Settings and Privacy’ option.
- Scroll down to the menu and click on the ‘Log Out’ option.
- Confirm the log out by clicking on the ‘Log Out’ option again.
Turn On Airplane Mode
The second alternative is to turn on Airplane mode to appear offline on Instagram. Different mobile have different processes to do so. But, you can simply go to your Device Settings and explore the different options. Find the ‘Airplane Mode’ option and turn it on to not receive any notifications or messages and your followers will not be able to see when you were last active on the app.
All social media platforms like Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram know the importance of your time and privacy, so they share different options for controlling and managing your activity status. By taking control of your online presence, you can manage your activity on social media. It will help you to become more relaxed in life by not indulging in unnecessary conversations.
There are different ways to appear offline on Instagram. Either you can turn off the ‘Show Activity Status’ of your Instagram or use an alternative like logging out of your Instagram account or turning on airplane mode.
I encourage you to take charge of your online presence on Instagram. So, follow this guide on how to appear offline on Instagram, and learn the way to control the online status of your Instagram profile. Enjoy your time on Instagram while keeping things private and secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There a Way to Show Offline on Instagram?
You can toggle off the ‘Show Active Status’ option available in the settings of your account. However, you can also use alternatives like logging out of your Instagram account or turning on ‘Airplane mode’ on your device.
Can You Appear Offline on Instagram?
Go to the ‘Settings and Privacy’ of your profile and scroll down to the ‘Messages and Story replies’ option. Now, toggle off the ‘Show Activity Status’ option and be relaxed and free from Instagram.
Why Would Someone Turn Off Their Active Status?
There might be different reasons why someone would want to turn off their activity status. These reasons include privacy concerns, reducing distractions, avoiding unwanted conversations, maintaining a low profile, balancing social interaction, etc.